Saturday, February 28, 2009

Easy Steps To Learn How To Play Piano By Ear

Now, let me go into some of the basics to learn to play the piano.

Really, I know it's hard to believe, but it's simple to play by ear:

1. Learn scales and chords (this is kind of the boring part but it's essential)

2. Learn how to pick out the melody to a song with your right hand. (You use the scale to help you with this.)

3. Learn to play the chords with the left hand (as rhythm and accompaniment to the melody).

In a nutshell, that's it! I know it's hard to believe it could be that simple to learn to play the piano, but it is.

How do I know?

Well, I've been teaching people to play the piano by ear for over 20 years. I've used an easy step by step process and seen successes over and over.

If you can grasp this simple, three step process, you can learn to play the piano.

As I mentioned in another blog, after I teach a student three scales, C scale, F scale, and G scale, then I teach them how to make the major chord for each scale.

That means, the student will learn to play C chord, F chord, and G chord.

This prepares the student to play a song in the key of C because C chord, F chord, and G chord are all three used when playing in the key of C.

Then, as I mentioned above, the next step is for the student to learn about hearing intervals on the scale. You know like:

C SCALE

C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C
1-2-3-4-5-6-7-1

From C to E is a different interval than from C to A. There's more notes inbetween the second interval than the first on.

Once a student understands the difference in sound of intervals, he/she can pick out the melody to his/her favorite tunes!

The next step is to add the accompaniment to the left hand via chords which also provides rhythm.

That would mean that since there are 3 major chord for every key, that's what you will use.

In the key of C, C chord, F chord, and G chord are all three possibilities of chords to use in ANY song. That's the starting place. The foundation to learn to play the piano.

After than, both hands are doing different things and it can be a challenge, but I promise you that once you get the "hang of it", you'll be playing your favorite song on the piano.

I'll be adding a video soon that is amazing! I taped my 6 year old son who hasn't had any interest in the piano until about 2 weeks ago.

Guess, what method I used to get him playing his first song???

You got it! The three easy step process to learn the piano!

Keep an eye out for it because it's amazing.

To you success,

Matthew Stephens

No comments: